Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day 23 - Mishaps Foils Jeremy's Ride

Day 23, April 14th: This was not a good day. About six miles outside of Kountz Jeremy took a nasty spill. He has a saddle on his right pedal to keep his foot in place while riding. However, do to some coordination and slow reaction problems he just has a plain pedal on the left side. As he stood up to peddle harder his left foot slipped off the left peddle throwing his body over the handle bars onto the road landing on his left shoulder. He was in a lot of pain. Joyce took him into Silsbree to see a doctor and I continue the ride into Silsbree. The problem was, no doctor would see Jeremy in Silsbree because he was not a local. Joyce then drove him to Beaumount to a minor injury care center and I rode my bike down to Beaumount. It appears Jeremy may have a hairline fracture in the bone on top of the shoulder. The doctor said he would be unable to ride for at least two or three weeks. That means we had to stop the ride, load up our gear and head back to Huntington. It is my intent to continue the ride when Jeremy is able later this fall or next April. There is not any doubt in my mind that Jeremy has the strength and determination to complete this ride. I believe the most physically and mentally challenging part of the ride is over. The land ahead is very flat, but the wind and weather pose additional challenges. We were about 65 miles from Louisiana when this all happened.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeremy I hope you are doing ok. So sorry to hear about your accident. I am sure you will finish later though. Get some rest and take care of your shoulder. Have a safe trip home. You are truly amazing. Everyone in Huntington will be glad to see you..

Judy

Anonymous said...

Jeremy,

You climbed over the mountains of eastern San Diego County and crossed the Mojave Desert. Then you climbed over the continental divide. Then you survived the loneliness of west Texas, then the hills of central Texas. Then just as the trip was supposed to get a little easier, a small accident occurred. I have gone off my bike many times, its just that your accident happened to injure a bone and broke your trip.

My condolences. I will wait for word that your trip has resumed.

Later this spring I am taking your uncle Stan up a mountain for our third try at the summit. I hope that I get to meet you some day.

Russell

Anonymous said...

Good job on your trip Jeremy and Stan. I enjoyed reading your posts and am sorry that your ride got cut short. You can finish it in the hopefully near future.

Bob Brancel

The_original_diddle said...

So sorry to hear about this. You've done so much and gotten so far. get some rest, and heal up, then Finish it Jeremy, because we all know you can. Praying for you

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy....... So proud of you and Uncle Stan for your determination. (I also love the picture of Jeff above---that made me smile). We are thinking of you and glad you are ok...xoxo, Julie

Anonymous said...

Jeremy -- I just read about your spill and the tough decision that had to be made to cut your ride short. I am sure you are very disappointed. Please know that I have admired your courage and commitment and your have been an inspiration to me and many others to be riders.

Brooks Fetters


You can donate online safely and securely with a credit card!

My name is Jeremy Winkelman. I am 29-years-old and live in Huntington, Indiana.

My photo
I enjoy helping others. I'm a hard worker.